To prepare yourself for a successful class, students should complete the items below prior to attending:
- Rider’s Guide (PDF) Please read the entire Rider’s Guide. A printed copy will be provided to you on site when you arrive at the range. Use a highlighter or otherwise note any questions you may have. Please complete the Controls Activities on pages 21 and 22.
- Rider’s Guide Review
- The Rider’s Guide Review activity and Ride Smart Ride More Safely Commitment statements must be completed prior to the start of class. Please prepare and present the completed assignment to the instructors at the range session for this class. Completing the review activity is a requirement to successfully complete the Basic Rider Skills course.
- Please view the following Training Videos in conjunction with the associated Rider’s Guide Units:
- Transport Accident Commission Victoria (Risk) Unit 2 – Risk
- NHTSA Helmet Video Unit 3 – Preparing to Ride
- Easy Driver’s Ed (SIPDE and Vision) – Unit 5 – Mental Motorcycling
- Oregon Department of Transportation “Scarecrow” Unit 6 – Cornering
- It’s a Fine Line – Motorcycle Safety Target Zero – Unit 9 – Impairments
Virtual Classroom Information (for those who are registered in a Virtual Classroom)
The virtual classroom is a combination of:
- a pre-course assignment (reading, videos, and activities listed above),
- Rider’s Guide Review (also above), and
- an instructor-led, 2-hour online classroom component in a virtual setting.
Time to complete all classroom materials and activities (including the virtual classroom) is estimated to be 3-5 hours.
You will need access to the internet and a computer, tablet, or smartphone. A computer or tablet (no smartphones) is highly recommended to participate in the virtual classroom part of the course.
Once the classroom portion is complete, you will meet at a designated location with your approved riding gear to participate in the on-cycle training (see class registration for dates and times).
Once you register for your class the training site will email you an invitation for the virtual classroom. If you do not receive the link within one week of the class, please contact the site.